Friday, November 7, 2008

Fire!

I’m walking home one cold evening....its dark, my feet ache, and I’m frozen to the marrow. The glow from the the sitting room window looks so inviting.
Once inside the door I make a dash for that room....still wearing gloves and coat, as I’m too cold to ‘cast any clouts’ quite yet. I look forward to warming the old derrière....back to the open fireplace....mmmm.....lovely.

Now I am well familiar with that strange division of labour that occurs at barbecues....gender roles and all that. I’m now firmly of the belief that it extends to the indoor grate as well?

Indeed, it was very thoughtful of him to light the fire for me...but picture this. There in the centre of the large grate is a little pyramid of black.....stacked so neatly that it reminds me of a Ferrero Rocher advert. I want to laugh...it looks so comical....but I dare not.

I’m still shivering as I cast him an accusing look, inferring that it’s his fault that I am still cryogenically preserved. At the same moment I make a grab for the coal tongs but I’m intercepted.....they are snatched from my hands.

”The fire is perfectly OK so leave it alone”. “It always goes out when you start fiddling with it” says he.

“Goes out?”....“goes out?” I reply in a high pitched and quivering voice (no doubt due to the affects of cold on the vocal cords).....

....”who would ever notice if it did?”!!!!

At this point the primeval instincts kick in and Homo Habilis squats protectively in front of the fire and won’t let me have a look in. He starts poking around, and I’d swear pretending to add coal! All conversation dies, and I go for a bath to warm up.
Now I know we are supposed to conserve our dwindling natural resources.....but this is ridiculous.

Many years ago I was involved in some research into the possible uses of large tanks found on prehistoric sites...possibly designed to hold liquids ...... well I think I know the answer now!

The womenfolk had worked out how to keep warm when the man of the ‘house’ wouldn’t throw another turf on the fire. They’d start their own outside, throw a few heated rocks in and have a good old soak!!

10 Comments:

At November 7, 2008 at 3:39 AM , Blogger bodran... said...

Yes what is it with men and fires! i'm sure if we started useing them to cook on they wouldnt want to be so in on the act.
I must admit though my favourite chore is burning x

 
At November 7, 2008 at 3:59 AM , Blogger Milla said...

I'm actually the firestarter in our house! WELL DONE on getting your blog up! Lovely piece and you must feel so relieved to have done it. Photos too, wayhay!!

 
At November 7, 2008 at 5:16 AM , Blogger Faith said...

Oh this made me laugh out loud Salle! (and I don't often do that) but so like my hub with the fire! I do the raking out of yesterday's ashes, hump in more coal, put in firelighters, kindling and coal... and light it. Then when he comes in, suddenly its HIS fire and he takes over. Glad your man is the same. Well done, it's nice to read your blog.

 
At November 7, 2008 at 5:47 AM , Blogger Pili pala said...

I'm with you,(not literally),if all fails have a bath. I couldn't live without my bath; it's where I retreat to..I agree men fires it's a primeval thing I'm sure. Love the blogg x

 
At November 7, 2008 at 6:45 AM , Blogger Exmoorjane said...

Yay! You've done it. Fabulous. I adore that photo...so atmospheric. Adrian always accused me of putting out the fire - but we all know that men are always wrong.....

 
At November 7, 2008 at 8:47 AM , Blogger mountainear said...

They are very proprietorial about their fires aren't they? I'm more than capable of setting a fire - and stoking it and keeping it going - but like the rest of you it seems, I get shouldered out of the way so it can be done Properly. Huh!

And don't get me started on the 'hunter-gatherer' thing. Goes to Morrisons then strews it down on the table to be admired as if he has personally stalked and shot down the last box of tea bags in the store. No putting away for him. Huh!

 
At November 7, 2008 at 9:02 AM , Blogger Cait O'Connor said...

My man is the same, total control freak where the fire is concerned. It's a pity as I love lighting and stoking fires!

 
At November 7, 2008 at 9:12 AM , Blogger Woozle1967 said...

Yey, you did it. And there was me going to email destructions! Great to see you blogging.xx PS - the former marine struggles with the fire in this house - another girl job for me.......x

 
At November 7, 2008 at 10:16 AM , Blogger snailbeachshepherdess said...

Yep! Another male fire warden here - it drives me absolutely mad!
Congrats on the blog!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 12:04 AM , Blogger Un Peu Loufoque said...

I m married to a foriegner frm a cuntry where for safety reasons open fires are a no no and he has a fascination with them as a result... he could light a controlled bush fire I am sure but is the kiss of death to the woodburner!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home